Enough with the German jokes

A blog of my adventures over the summer of 2006 in Germany.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Munich!

I went to Munich this weekend! It was a nice little 6 hour train ride down there, and a nice little 6 hour train ride back. There were so many people trying to get around, they had 2 super-long trains attached to eachother. Which is why I got lost. I was supposed to meet Sam and Ling on the track to depart from Köln, but my train was a little late getting in, and by the time I got to the right track, most people had boarded, and I needed to hurry and hop on. I thought it wouldn't matter where I got on, because one can pass through all the cars while the train is running. I didn't realize that they had more than one train, so I searched and searched for Sam and Ling, and was a little worried when I didn't find them. But it just so happened that the train car I boarded at the changeover was the same one Sam and Ling had boarded! very lucky indeed. We made it to Munich, and we stayed on the floor of a dormroom of one of Ling's friends.

The next day, we slept in until noon, because the "blinds" on the outside of the windows are really just like those metal doors they pull down over shops when they close at night in the city. We couldn't see any sun, so we had no idea what time it was. It was actually kind of cool. When I'm trying to catch up on sleep at MIT, I think the sun coming in the windows is one of the more annoying things in the world. But we went to a nice bavarian style restaurant for lunch. Here's the hall * We didn't actually eat there, because we didn't see anywhere we could all sit, so we went upstairs where it was much quieter and got a good german meal.

After that, Germany was playing (in Munich, too!) so we all went to a biergarten
http://web.mit.edu/kmwerts/www/album/Germany/munich/slides/munich%20011.html
to watch the game on their huge big screen projectors. I'm not good at estimating, but I feel as though there had to have been at least thousands of people in that one biergarten--it was really big. I'll have to say, that was probably the best experience watching Germany so far. Cheering along with thousands of people is kinda fun. The people went crazy after they won, too.
http://web.mit.edu/kmwerts/www/album/Germany/munich/slides/munich%20025.html
We walked around the streets of Munich afterward, and there were people everywhere
http://web.mit.edu/kmwerts/www/album/Germany/munich/slides/munich%20043.html
waving flags and singing songs and chanting. "So was hat mein Augen noch gesehen! So schön, so schön!" which means "Oh what have my eyes seen! so beautiful!" Ah, I just found out that this is wrong. They actually say "Oh was hat mein Lange nicht gesehen" which means something to the effect of "Oh look what happened that hasn't in a long of time." haha. And "Berlin! Berlin! Wir fahren nach Berlin!" which means "we're going to Berlin!" because, they are! next game is in Berlin, and also the finals are in Berlin (at which I will be!).

We saw the big park there, where there were several unfortunately naked old men and some people riding horses around and still celebrating.
http://web.mit.edu/kmwerts/www/album/Germany/munich/slides/munich%20052.html
After that we went to Olympishestadium which is where the Olympics were held in 1972. They spruced it up for the World cup and also added a huge projector in an enormous amphitheater. The guards there really didn't like us, but we went in and sat down to watch the last half of the Argentina Mexico game with about 3000 other people (again, that's just a really bad guess--to make it better for you, I'd say this was at least 3 times as big as Kresge--maybe more--how many people does Kresge seat?). It was kinda late after that, so most of us went home, and the other half went out partying and got back at 6 am. I was really tired, so I went home and slept.

The next day we woke up at 9ish and went to the old art museum for a few hours. It was very nice and had a lot of stuff, and there were about 3 more museums in the city. I think you could spend weeks just at the museums. After that, Sam, Ling, and Bao insisited on jumping into the channel in the park. They didn't have any bathing suite with them, but that didn't stop them.
http://web.mit.edu/kmwerts/www/album/Germany/munich/slides/munich%20056.html
I stayed dry and took pictures. They're all on Sam's camera right now, which is probably good, because there's a few of him and everyone else in their underwear. We walked around the park a bit more after that, then we went back to get our stuff, stopped by some souvenir shops to buy postcards and stuff, then ran to the train hopped on and left. 6 hours back and here I am.

Well, actually it's monday now, but nothing too terribly exciting happened today. I just bought some meat. I wasn't sure what exactly it was, but I cooked it up and ate it just the same. It was pork. and good, too! I'm off to bed now so that I can get up early for work tomorrow.

Kendall

Music: Third eye blind. For just about the whole Munich trip. Right now, though, my whole library is just on shuffle. all 18.6 gigs of it. No wonder the harddrive on this thing is so full . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home